Latest Success Data on Provider Participation in the EHR Incentive Programs
CMS has released February 2012 data that highlights program-to-date (since January 2011) participation and payment totals under the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs. The February report documents continued growth in registrations and payments, including:
- Over 211,500 eligible professionals (EPs), eligible hospitals, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) have registered for the Medicare and/or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs since January 2011
- Over 20,000 registered for the Medicare and/or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs in the month of February
- Over 62,000 EPs, eligible hospitals, and CAHs have been paid for successfully participating in the Medicare and/or Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
- Over $3.8 billion has been paid in Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payments to EPs, eligible hospitals, and CAHs across the country
- Over $738 million was paid in the month of February
Visit the Data and Reports page on the EHR website to review more of more data on continued acceleration in registration and payment data.
CMS has created several resources to help participants navigate the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. A few key resources include:
- An Introduction to the Medicare EHR Incentive Program for Eligible Professionals- This interactive guide helps EPs navigate every aspect of the Medicare program and provides helpful resources and tips along the way. A Medicaid guide will be available later this spring.
- Updated User Guides- CMS has updated the registration and attestation user guides, which walk EPs and eligible hospitals through CMS' registration and attestation system. There are five guides in total and all of them can be downloaded from the Educational Materials page of the EHR website.
- Provider Testimonial Videos- These videos, which can be found on the CMS YouTube channel, highlight providers' experiences participating in the EHR Incentive Programs.
If you are considering registering for the programs, but have not done so yet, take a look at the CMS EHR website and use the eligibility tool to find out if you can participate.
Remember: 2012 is the last year in which EPs can receive a full incentive payment in the Medicare EHR Incentive Program. Beginning in 2013, EPs will receive a smaller overall total payment. Remember to register early.