Review Important Questions and Answers about Registration for the EHR Incentive Programs
After determining your eligibility for the Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs, you should then register as early as possible for the Medicare and/or Medicaid program. CMS’ EHR Information Center is open to assist the EHR provider community with registration and other program-related inquiries.
The center can be reached at 1-888-734-6433 (primary number) or 888-734-6563 (TTY number) from 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. (Central Time) Monday through Friday, except federal holidays.
Here are a few of the Information Center’s most frequently asked questions about registration:
- Question: What information should I have ready before I begin the registration process?
Answer: When you register, you will need:
- If you are registering as an eligible hospital or Medicare eligible professional, you will need an approved enrollment record in the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS). Medicaid eligible professionals are not required to be enrolled in PECOS.
- If you do not have a record in PECOS, you should still register for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. (Please note –your eligible hospital or Medicare eligible professional registration status will remain in an “issue pending” status until you have an active enrollment record in PECOS.)
- A National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- A National Plan and Provider Enumeration System Identity and Access Management ID and password for the individual provider
- A Payee Tax Identification Number (if you are reassigning your benefits)
- A Payee NPI (if you are reassigning your benefits)
Answer: Click on “You are requesting to act on behalf of an individual provider.”
Answer: Log in to the Registration and Attestation System and click the Status tab to view your registration information.
Answer: To re-submit a registration, you will need to:
- Login to the EHR Incentive Program Registration and Attestation System;
- Navigate to the Registration tab;
- Select the Modify action for the registration;
- Select the Personal Information registration topic; and
- Save the updated payee information and submit the registration.