CMS and ONC Announce Over 100,000 Providers Have Been Paid Under the EHR Incentive Programs
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) announced that over 100,000 health care providers have been paid under the Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs.
Only three months ago, CMS Acting Administrator Marilyn Tavenner and National Coordinator for Health Information Technology Farzad Mostashari, MD, ScM, wrote a blog post, 2012: The Year of Meaningful Use, which declared the goal for getting 100,000 health care providers to adopt, implement, upgrade, or demonstrate meaningful use of EHRs by the end of 2012.
According to Acting Administrator Tavenner, "Meeting this goal so early in the year is a testament to the commitment of everyone who has worked hard to meet the challenges of integrating EHRs and health information technology into clinical practice."
As of the end of May 2012:
Providers Paid Information
- More than 110,000 eligible professionals and more than 2,400 eligible hospitals have been paid by the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs.
- Approximately 48 percent of all eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals in the U.S. have received an incentive payment for adopting, implementing, upgrading, or demonstrating meaningful use of an EHR.
- One out of every five Medicare and Medicaid eligible professionals in the U.S. has received an incentive payment for adopting, implementing, upgrading, or demonstrating meaningful use of an EHR.
- Over $5.7 billion in EHR Incentive Program payments have been made as of the end of May 2012.
- More than $3 billion in Medicare EHR Incentive Program payments were made between May 2011 (when the first payments were released) and the end of May 2012.
- More than $2.6 billion in Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payments were made between January 2011 (when the first states launched their programs) and the end of May 2012.
Make sure to visit the EHR Incentive Programs website for the latest news and updates on the EHR Incentive Programs, and view the press release and May monthly report by visiting the Data and Reports page of the website.